- The Facilities Fee will not be used to support ongoing operational costs associated with any project.
- The Facilities Fee will not be used to pay debt service.
- The Facilities Fee will not be used to pay for rental agreements.
- Monies raised from the Facilities Fee at a particular location will be used at that location.
- Monies not used in a particular year will be carried over from year to year for use when enough funds are generated to complete an approved project. Interest will be credited (using the University’s short term rate) on an annual basis to any unused funds.
- New facilities or modifications to current facilities will be consistent with the campus’ strategic and master physical facilities plans.
Any student(s) can submit a request to utilize the facility fee that is consistent with the above parameters.The request will then be forwarded to the Director of Business Services/DBS, the Chancellor, the DSA and the SGA president: If all four agree this application merits further investigation, the DBS will explore pricing to potentially operationalize the submission before the entire Facilities Fee committee reviews the proposal. Broad student review/input is expected as part of the proposal procedure.
Each semester, the Facilities Fee committee meets to review these submissions. This committee is chaired by the Chancellor and is comprised of 3-5 student representatives (appointed by Student Government Association/SGA president & the Director of Student Services and Engagement/DSSE); the DSSE; a representative of the Student Affairs Committee of Faculty Senate; the Director of Business Services; the Director of Development; and the campus Financial Officer.
The following are some examples of Facilities-Fee funded proposals:
- Furniture for the Student Commons main lounge (supplemented by a grant from the V-P of Commonwealth Campuses).
- Furniture in the basement lounge area of the technology Center.
- Air hockey table in Student Commons.
- Various pictures of Penn State (both University Park and our local campus) as a way to enhance Penn State pride.
- Significant enhancements to the weight room in the Athletics and Recreation Building.
- New, larger Nittany Lion
- Outdoor furniture for the newly-developed plaza in front of the Student Commons.
- Sound system enhancements in Science Center 101 for movie nights
- Renovation of the first floor of the Student Commons for a new club space and computer lab.